Theatre Works wants to inspire more people to discover, create and love theatre.
Our mission is to enable new work, foster and develop new voices, be a vital support for established voices, and welcome and engage new audiences.
The values that drive Theatre Works are:
- Access + Equity: we are committed to removing the barriers to participation, inclusively engaging with new voices and new communities and ensuring equity in our work
- Curiosity + Courage: we value new ideas, new thinking, artistic experimentation and rigorous creative investigation
- Transparency + Honesty: we listen, we are timely in our communication, we treat people with respect, we lead open and engaged processes.
- Passion + Pride: we don’t have much money and we don’t have an endless pool of resources, but we do care intensely about what we do. We will celebrate and champion everything we do. We want to be proud in our work and for our community to be equally proud of our impact and in everything we achieve.
- Sustainability + Stewardship: we care for the future, we always actively consider our environmental impact and ensure our own future is sustainable.
About Theatre Works
Theatre Works is a company, a community and an old Parish Hall located in St. Kilda.
Theatre Works plays a vital role in the independent theatre ecology of Melbourne. Our audiences come from our local neighbourhood and from across the wider metropolitan area. Over 10k people attended works at Theatre Works in the past twelve months.
Numerous works that have been produced and supported by Theatre Works have transferred to other festivals and theatre, and have received numerous Greenroom and Helpmann awards.
Like our friends and associates at La Mama, The Substation and Footscray Community Arts Centre, we are an independently constituted organisation. We believe there is power in being independent and our longevity is something that we should celebrate and acknowledge. We are not a council department or a major company. Our existence is based around our Mission and Values. We survive and thrive on the creative resilience of artists and our communities.
We couldn’t do what we do without the support of Creative Victoria, the Australia Council, and the City of Port Phillip, and donors to support our seasons.